This morning, we went to see more bonsai at Daitoku-ji Temple in North Kyoto. Many of these trees are over 200 years old, and one is 800 years old and said to belong to one of the Tokugawa Shoguns.
D and I have been back from Japan for a few months now and thoughts have settled enough to write a few notes and conclusions down that may be interesting or useful to readers. Obviously, there are many people far better informed than me on Japan, so my thoughts are just that, my thoughts. Research extensively to expand your understanding. 1) Don't visit Japan in August, unless you're a salamander. It really was shockingly hot and humid. 2) If you want to interact with Japanese people, try to find a local guide for at least some of your trip. If you are an extrovert and not at all shy, you may be able to strike up spontaneous conversations here and there, but you may also offend. If you book a guide, even for one day, they are likely to introduce you to people who are ready and open to chat. On our self-guided travel, only one local ventured to speak with us. 3) Kyoto appears to be a mini-Japan. Everything there from the traditional to the modern, and in a much more manageable a...
Here we go! I'm really excited to finally fly aboard the massive A380. I'm reminded of the many flights out to the Philippines and back in 747s in the late 70's when I was a skinny lad. By luck, Diana and I chose to eat in Wagamama which got us a clear view of our ride pulling up to its gate. Well, I say a clear view, but the runnels of rainwater on the window didn't help. Next stop, Dubai!
That's all folks! The adventure is over. D and I popped over to Odaiba, a spot on reclaimed land in the harbour facing Tokyo City from the sea. They even have a replica of The Statue of Liberty here... But the heatwave continues with temperatures in the high thirties and feeling like high forties (°C), and it's just too hot to be sightseeing, so we left Tokyo and headed out to Narita Airport earlier than we'd planned. Goodbye Japan! 👋 Just in case you thought I'd forgotten, here's another power pylon, my favourite that I have named 'Godzilla'... 😆
Comments
Post a Comment